POLICY ON SCHOLARSHIPS, PRIZES AND AWARDS
The Greater Fall River Vocational School Committee embraces and encourages the practice of awarding scholarships, prizes and athletic awards as both an incentive for high levels of achievement and the facilitation of continuing higher levels of education. The Greater Fall River Vocational School Committee encourages groups and individuals to fund endowments for these purposes. In sponsoring or administering any scholarship or award, the District ensures that such scholarships or awards are free from restrictions based upon race, color, sex, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. In making awards to members of single-sex teams, the Committee ensures that awards are in proportion to the number of students of each gender participating in interscholastic competition. All proposed scholarships or awards to be administered by the District must first be approved and accepted by the School Committee. In evaluating such proposals, the Committee will apply the following criteria:
- The proposal either does not discriminate based on any of the above listed criteria, or the Committee will commit funding to erase any discriminatory effect of the proposed scholarship or award.
- The proposal must be free from motivations of personal or corporate gain or publicity.
- The explicit or implied purposes of the proposal are consistent with the goals and standards of the District.
- The proposed criteria for application or selection procedures must not put unreasonable demands on school staff and the criteria for selection must be clear and objective.
- The proposal must be in compliance with all laws and School Committee policies.
Approved by SC: 9/10/2020