AUTHORIZATION AND EXPENDITURES FOR ATHLETIC AND OTHER SCHOOL PROGRAMS
The Regional School Committee may supervise all athletic activities and other organizations of public school students and bearing the school name or organized in connection wherewith. It may directly or through an authorized representative determine under what conditions the same may compete with similar organizations in other schools.
- Expenditures of the Committee for the organization and conduct of physical education, athletics, sports, games and play; for providing proper apparatus, equipment, supplies, athletic wearing apparel including appropriate souvenir garments, trophies and facilities; for the same in the buildings, yards and playgrounds under the control of the Committee or upon any other land which it may have the right or privilege to use for this purpose; and for the employment of experienced athletic directors to supervise said physical education, athletics, sports, games and play shall be deemed to be for a school purpose.
- Expenditures by the Committee for making special awards to pupils who have performed meritoriously shall be deemed to be for a school purpose.
- The Regional School Committee may approve a budget for the employment of coaches to supervise in public schools physical education, athletics, sports, games and play and for transportation and the expenses of athletic teams, coaches, cheerleaders, bands and any other groups composed of students which bear the school name and are under the control of the regional school committee within and without the Commonwealth to places where athlete contests or physical education, sports, games, play, music festivals, competition or other events are held; for the purchase of band and cheerleader uniforms and musical instruments for members of the bands composed of public school pupils and bearing the school name and under the control of the Regional School Committee.
- All receipts by the Committee in connection with the activities provided for under this section shall be deposited with the treasurer of the district and held as a separate account and expended by said Regional School Committee without further appropriation notwithstanding the provisions of Section 53 of Chapter 44.
- No monies may be expended from an appropriation or from the separate fund authorized by this section except upon the approval of the Regional School District Committee. (General Laws, Chapter 71, Section 47.)
- A physician or a person who has completed a full course in emergency medical care employed by a Regional School Committee shall be assigned to every scholastic football game played by any teams representing a school in a district (General Laws, Chapter 71, Section 54A.)